Tuesday 29 September 2015

Oxley Two Canals walk - near Wolverhampton

I started this lovely walk at Oxley Moor Bridge, (WV10 6TX)


The rusty plaque explains that the previous bridge lasted for two centuries before being replaced, reminding me of the great age of our canals.

Oxley Boat Yard from the bridge

Turning into the Shropshire canal here, the traditional boat makes this look like an old scene.

I carried on along the Staffs and Worcs Canal - very green and rural, despite its proximity to Wolverhampton.
Marsh Lane Bridge

This section of canal is only one boat wide. Cut out of sandstone, it's known as Pendeford Rockin',* (or sometimes, the Narrows) and runs for almost half a mile, with two passing places.

The colours are not really autumnal yet.

On one side is a large nature reserve

The canal goes under the M54...

...but soon returns to being rural


At Coven Heath Bridge, I left the canal, aiming to follow the Monarch's Way across country to join the Shropshire Union Canal.

The Monarch's Way signs are tiny, but easy enough to follow.

I turned left onto this lane for about 1/4 mile, ..

...and then turned on to this bridle way (Monarch's Way sign visible)


The bridleway goes for quite a long way.

I liked this sign "This way". Saves time deciding what to do!


Back to the M54. This time over the top.

The bridleway eventually arrived at Pendeford Caravan Park, once the site of Pendeford Hall.

A short walk along Pendeford Mill Lane,...

...and I was back on a canal. This time the Shropshire Union.

I sat here to have my lunch. Perhaps the site of an old bridge?

Then under the newer bridge

Past Wolverhampton Boat Club 

Again, the canal is very rural.

There are paths on both sides.

For late September, the weather was glorious

The hopeful ducks were soon disappointed; I had nothing to feed them with.
Reflections

Coming up to Autherley Junction, where the Shropshire Union meets the Staffs and Worcs.

The bridge lifts to allow boats into the work area. 

There's a great shop - coffee and ice cream, as well as souvenirs.

The old toll house, handily placed to catch boats starting up "the Shroppie"

This is a stop lock, with barely a rise. It was there to slow boats down, and to stop the Shropshire canal using too much water from the Staffs and Worcs.
This was a good walk. 7 miles in total. Recommended, and easy to follow. Would be even better in a few weeks with more autumn colours .

* three sources put this as the name of this cutting, but a fourth source says that this is the name of the narrow section on the Shropshire Union canal. I've gone with the majority.

Today's walk: Start at Oxley Moor Bridge, and follow the Staffs and Worcs until the next bridge after the motorway. Turn left, following small but distinct Monarch's Way signs along a lane. After 1/4 mile turn left onto a bridleway. Follow this this for 1.25 miles until the Pendeford Caravan park. Turn left onto the road, and right at the junction, on the Wobaston/Pendeford Mill Road. After about half a mile, the road crosses the canal.Turn left onto the canal and follow the canal (Shropshire Union) back to your starting point. Coffee and icecream, at Autherley Junction,just before the walk ends. 7 miles

Clickthe links below for other walks in in the Wolverhampton area;
Compton canal walk
Wombourne to Oaken

Mobile users: To see other walks in the Black Country, click here. If you're viewing on a computer, it's the menu at the side.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Lucy. I live on Oxley Moor Road and work from home, sitting in my front window. I often see serious walkers, canes and all, go up and down OMR and wondered whether I lived on a particularly well known route - hence Google turning up your blog. I did accost one such walker, and it turned out he was walking the length of Great Britain for charity! Since the pandemic clipped my wings (and my walking mates all had kids!) I've walked a lot of these local paths. I've never done this specific loop, as my turn-around points always involve pubs, for some reason... :o) I'll be checking out the rest of your blog now, and may reply to other posts with some suggestions of my own. Happy hiking!

    ReplyDelete