Sunday 1 May 2016

Stormy times and high tides - Thames Barrier to London Bridge

I got this fabulous route from a walks leaflet published by Transport for London (click here for the link)
The Thames Barrier to Tower Bridge - around 11 miles. My husband had a meeting in London so I took the train there with him. Then I left him  and went to have some fun!

I took the train to Charlton ( about 15 mins)

From there I walked down Anchor and Hope Road to the Thames, turning left to walk to the Barrier

The tide was out at this point. And the (nice-looking) cafe was closed (opens at 10 .30)
 So, I turned back towards London, past the start/end of the Thames Path. Hmmm... 180 miles, sounds like fun.

Outside the Anchor and Hope pub was a winkle stall. Very East End!

The route was full of information signs.  This one left me pondering about marine aggregates and what they actually are. (No idea!)

I couldn't resist a trip on the cable cars which cross the river by the O2. It was still early and there was no queue. I had a carriage to myself!
 The vieas are great, and there's a commentary

This is over towards the Olympic Park

Storm clouds were gathering as I returned to the O2

Back on the walk, looking across to Canary Wharf.

Occasionally the path went inland, past older houses a s well as modern developments.

Here, an old hospital building from 1616 lies right next to Greenwich Power Station (those towers on the left)

Statue of Nelson looking back at the O2, now on the skyline. I passed the Naval College at Greenwich in heavy rain, so no pictures.

The Cutty Sark and some ferocious clouds 

I stopped here for a lunchtime snack. The Sail Loft. Very pleasant.

Statue of Peter the Great - this route has plenty to look at. Apparently he spent some months nearby 

I passed several modern docks

Pigs at the entrance to Surrey Docks Farm, an educational charity.

This was what amazed me.  As the tide came in, it was pretty high, and waves were splashing onto the path, as if it were the seaside. I could see why the Thames Barrier was built.

New houses built with floods in mind. Garages on the ground floor - all the living is upstairs.

This Thames tributary was right up to the level of this bridge!

Inland a little, I loved the shared balconies.

Tower Bridge comes into view - along with the Shard, the Walkie Talkie and the Gherkin

I took a break here - at Browns Brasserie


They were serving afternoon tea. Yes, I did eat it all

Past an odd statue showing what a marvel is mankind. (Apparently) 

The objective - Tower Bridge itself!


Just the other side, the Tower of London, and various boats

Right next to the Tower - the new buildings, with the cranes promising more soon.


Today's walk: 11 miles from Charlton Station to the Thames Barrier (about a mile) and then back along the South Bank to Tower Bridge. If I had had the time I would have carried on. The walking is easy and flat, but there's lots to look and and little diversions which makes walking slower than you might anticipate. Very highly recommended though - I saw our capital city in a new light, and learnt so much. 




No comments:

Post a Comment